If you choose to travel to Marbella by air there are two airports, Malaga airport and Gibraltar airport nearest Marbella. Malaga airport is a better choice because they have many more international flights. Malaga airport is one of Spain’s and Europe’s largest airports with millions of travelers per year. It is approximately 8 kilometers from Malaga City and 59 km from Marbella. It has excellent access and transport links – bus, train, taxi, rental car, shuttle.
The airport is a huge complex filled with all kinds of tourist facilities like bank, exchange, car rental, restaurants, bars, cafes, shopping malls, duty free shop, playground, police station, telephone and parking facilities.
Bus from Malaga airport to Marbella
Nonstop bus departing from Malaga airport to Marbella takes 45 minutes. You can find the bus station just outside the arrival terminal. Bus ticket is purchased just outside the airport and cost 8 euros. The bus company is called Avanzabus and timetable can be found on Avanzabus website. At the bus stop in Marbella there are plenty of taxis if you want to continue to the hotel by taxi.
Train from Malaga airport to Marbella
RENFE train station is located right outside the international terminal. From here you can take the train, line C1, to Fuengirola, which is halfway to Marbella and then bus to Marbella. You can also get off at Torremolinos or Benalmadena. At the train station’s there is staff that will help you to by ticket from the machines. The longest stretch with 13 stops, takes about 35 minutes and goes to Fuengirola for € 3.60. For those who do not want to take the shuttle bus, you can take the same train to Malaga City (María Zambrano station and Malaga Centro Alameda Station).
Rent a car at Malaga airport
There are plenty of car rental companies at the airport. Hertz, Avis, Goldcar and Bruno’s to name a few
Some important points to consider when renting a car:
- Book in advance. Demand is especially high during peak season, weekends and major holidays
- Some car rental companies require that the driver is over 21 years old. Do not forget to bring your passport and driving license.
- Make sure to have full insurance
- Ask about if deductibles are included as well as roadside assistance during the entire rental period
- Some companies have a coverage options included in the price which others charge extra for that easily can mean an expensive car price in the end.
- Extra fees might apply for drivers under 25, additional drivers, child seat, fee for the reduction of excess
- Carefully read the rules for refueling regulations and mileage.
- Read the terms carefully before you sign!
There are two different options to drive between the airport and Marbella; the new road AP-7 where you pay a small toll, or the old highway that stretches along the ocean, it takes a little longer and pass through more cities. On the old highway, you do not pay the toll. Rush-hour occurs during four times per day. Traffic is the worst 8 to 9:30 am, 12:30 to 14:30, 15:30 to 17 and 18:30 to 20:30. The quiet period usually falls between 15 and 17. The coastal roads in the holiday season can get very busy at times.
Shuttlebus from Malaga airport to Marbella
There is also shuttlebus and must be booked in advance and cost around 17-20 euros for a single journey: Shuttle Direct
Taxi from Malaga airport
Outside the airport there are several taxis and there is never any problem to get a taxi. Taxi from Malaga Airport to Marbella costs about 70 euros and you can also book in advance. Might be a good idea if you arrive late at night.Follow us